Operations Cost Controller
Provide a thorough cost variance analysis to assist operations management.
Samskip is using the standard costing approach for managing costing and pricing of its multimodal transport activities. Detailed cost variance analysis is important to guide operations management towards a better understanding of the business dynamics and ensure timely corrective actions. This requires the highest levels of analysis along with an ability to propose adjustments in standard costing assumptions. If you think you can help us to achieve all that, read on and find out more about life at Samskip.
An International Opportunity
Samskip is a truly international company with headquarters in Rotterdam that innovates the most advanced sustainable and multimodal transport solutions across Europe. Being one of the largest transport companies in Europe and at one of the world’s busiest and most important transport and shipping hubs, you will engage with the cutting edge of 21st-century logistics.
It’s exciting, it’s fun and every day is different as you work with a diverse range of colleagues from different regions and disciplines to deliver advanced transport solutions. Together, we make things happen.
Understanding the dynamics of our costs and business
This is a challenging and wide-ranging rolein which you work with financial and operational data to analyze the differences between actual and standard costs and identify main reasons for deviation. It involves all aspects of operations - land transport by road, rail and water, shipping, ports and terminals as well equipment – and represents an exciting opportunity to improve Samskip operational excellence.
Detailed core task-related activities include:
- Monthly review of cost center P&Ls;
- Identify and analyze routing & timing difference;
- Compare assumptions of the standard costs model with the actual figures for that month;
- Root cause analysis of the largest variances by drilling down on lower level;
- Participate to monthly meetings with operations management in all regions and communicate/align on main causes of deviations;
- Propose changes / updates to the standard cost model and discuss with cost owners / managers.
Equipped with KPIs and cost and efficiency variance, you propose a list of improvement points to the management. In addition, you assist management in creating and maintaining internal processes in relation to operations standard costing.
A great place to develop your career
At Samskip we want you to be the best you can be. That’s why you’ll be able to access wide-ranging development opportunities including training and e-learning through our Samskip Academy. You will also benefit from an open working environment where you are challenged every day while working as a team. And we do all to ensure that Samskip is a company where colleagues become friends. Other benefits include:
- Salary including a 13th month;
- 28 days of annual leave;
- Company pension plan;
- Travel allowance;
- The possibility to work from home for some of the time.
Are you the proactive controller we are looking for?
To apply for this position, you need to be a highly accurate, analytical and critical thinker who can interact with specialised colleagues to imagine, develop and implement new options and opportunities. You should also be proactive, flexible and willing to go the extra mile.
If you also tick the following boxes, we would love to hear from you:
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics, economics or finance;
- Previous experience in transportation and logistics is an advantage;
- Strong communication & analytical skills;
- Independent and willing to continuously improving ways of working;
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills;
- The ability to write clear and convincing reports;
- Good written and spoken English language skills.
If you think you think this is the role for you, contact us today via the application button on this page. Do you have any questions? Send an e-mail to [email protected]